The full-scale renovation of our Mission Clubhouse (circa 1928) officially opened in June 2010 during a grand opening celebration and ribbon cutting ceremony. The new state-of-the-art, $8 million, 15,000 square-foot Clubhouse offers a safe and positive place for some of the city’s most at-risk youth.
The Mission Clubhouse originally opened in 1928. In 2004, BGCSF closed the aging building for safety and structural concerns and moved to a temporary location at Bryant Elementary School, where the Club continued to operate throughout the renovation.
The new facility’s design features a youth friendly space with the following:
- Middle-school sized gym
- Teaching kitchen
- Multi-purpose room
- Games room
- Art studio
- Multi-media center
- Learning center
- Teen center
The new design also features offices for behavioral health and case management – critical parts of BGCSF’s work in this community. Furthermore, the new building is one of the first Boys & Girls Clubs to be built as a sustainable building and achieve Gold LEED certification. It features solar panels, natural ventilation, operable skylights, and radiant heat, among other things.
The re-building of this Club was truly a San Francisco project – Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco worked with youth, parents, community groups, the city, the Rotary Club of San Francisco, major philanthropists, private foundations, schools, the police, alumni, and other youth serving organizations in the Mission to build a Club that responds to the needs of young people both now and for decades to come.
Funding for the Mission Clubhouse renovation comes from Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco’s Brighter Futures Capital Campaign, which includes four construction projects. BGCSF’s Board of Governors has generously supported the campaign, with lead gifts from Don Fisher and Doris Fisher, Bob Emery and Rocky Fried. Significant capital campaign donors who have earmarked their gift to the Mission Clubhouse are: The Rotary Club of San Francisco; Gerson and Barbara Bakar; the William G Irwin Charity Foundation and the Koret Foundation. Additionally, BGCSF received an $800,000 challenge grant from The Kresge Foundation to help drive support for the new Club.
View photos from the grand opening of our Mission Clubhouse below, or on Flickr.